Massage Therapy and Mental Health!
Massage therapy is commonly used for relaxation and pain relief, and it can also be an effective therapy for aspects of mental health.
Research suggests that symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression may be positively affected with massage therapy.
Reserach shows massage therapy may help:
- Reduce trait anxiety and depression with a course of care providing benefits similar in magnitude to those of psychotherapy.1
- Increase neurotransmitters associated with lowering anxiety and decrease hormones associated with increasing anxiety.2
- Significantly decrease heart rate, systolic blood pressure, and diastolic blood pressure.3
- Reduce depression in individuals with HIV, lessen anxiety in cancer patients, reduce anxiety and depression in military veterans and lower work-related stress for nurses.4
1. AMTA Position Statement: Massage Can Reduce Symptoms of Depression
2. AMTA Position Statement: Massage Therapy for Anxiety
3. AMTA Position Statement: Massage Therapy Can Relieve Stress
4. AMTA Research Roundup: Massage for Mental Health and Wellness